video

now browsing by tag

 
 

Running and Driving

This last post brings the Rebel Van photos up to date with the van running and moving under it own power.

Rad filled with water, a borrowed battery off a Scimitar

Checking the Electrics, Terminals were cleaned and some modified wiring removed and everything came back to life, The fan motor switch is dodgy, and a new wiper switch would be nice but virtually everything else electric works.

The front brake pads never arrived in time to fit them bleed and check the system but we decided to try and get the engine running anyway. Photo Here shows Dave priming the carb

We were missing the starter so it took half an hour of pushing up and down to get the engine running, after a few false starts it fired up… Just as well as really as rebel with hard crossplys on the front and slightly flat radials on the back is quite hard work to push!

The Video: http://youtu.be/r5hV_EeOA4g

The Carb is wrong as its a Zenith and it should have an SU, As a result it doesn’t want to idle on it’s current settings. A decent play with the idle screw will probably make workable in the short term. It sounds fooked but its probably just the timing chain tensioner, It needs a new water pump as too as the current one pisses water everywhere.

The MOT Jobs list is something like this:

Replace windscreen – (current one has severe scratches, new one came with the car)
Fit new seatbelts – old ones are a bit frayed
Starter Motor – Because push starting is too much like hard work
Water Pump – May borrow this off the rebuilt 850 sat on the bench in the garage to save £££”S
Timing Chain tensioned,
Proper Engine mounts making,
Replace rubber filler pipe – Old one had dissolved.
New Tyres, – The van will probably inherit the Rostyles off the Red Rebel as Dave doesn’t like them the red rebel will then get something different.
Replace Rear door, – Requires a repair to one of the hinges
Source new numberplate and test numberplate light.
Fasten remaining chassis bolts down – needs more 1/4 inch unf bolts
Probably paint the rest of the chassis as some against protection against the winter roads.

It Lives: Moving under its own power

174

This post documents the work getting the rebel to move under its own power after 30 years off the road….

New exhaust system being fitted:

The old exhaust was mostly swept off the garage floor the a section of pipe just below them manifold has been replaced with flexi pipe bought form a local exhausts place. Its the first time we’d used it and It will be interesting to see how well it lasts.

We picked up an new silencer which is attached to the original tailpipe section.

It would have been nice to have fitted a replacement but the pipe bend over the axle is going to take some fabrication and there is techincally not much wrong with the old pipe!

This photo shows the new seatbelt support straps, now painted and fitted, Astute observers will also notice we now have a handbrake cable fitted.

We have also refitted the windows and 2 regal doors which i picked up for £10 the channel section on the old doors requires extensive repair and will be revisited later. The new doors were spectacularly brown, I ran out of Coarse Da sander pads which accounts for the slightly odd look! Regal doors are essentially the same the main difference is in the internal moulding which is different as the rebel has a nicer door card.

Given the doors are 8 years newer than the car they required quite a bit of shimming to get them to sit right, presumably slight differences in the mouldings at Reliant.

Door closeup, The handle and latches have also been refitted and the door can only be locked on the latch from the inside, oddly the drivers door appears to have always been unable to be locked from inside the car, presumably to stop you locking your keys in!

Drivers side door,

An inside view,

Not really sure why I took this picture tbh,

Before fitting the windows the internal moulding needed bonding back in, A scimitar Rear view mirror has been fitted until we can get a more appropriate one (the old one was in poor condition and did not survive removal.)

This final photo shows damage to the boot where the latch should mount we need to bind in new captive nuts to the holes:

The new bonnet will to be modified as its slightly different to the one that came with the car:

The new bonnet is designed to have external hinges mounted where as ours has internal hinges:

New bonnet:

The shortlist for an Mot is now:

Sort out a cooling System,
Fit the fuel tank,
Fiberglass work to the bonnet and boot to allow them to be fitted,
We need to buy a battery and do some other small finishing off jobs.

Ps For anyone who’s interested there are a couple of videos of the car on youtube showing a pre exhaust car running and moving under its own power.

<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/I2N-U7gCI0U” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

And:

<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/suquMWUsLsA” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>