Steel Support

now browsing by tag

 
 

More Bodywork Steel: Seatbelts, A-pillar

166

These photos show the glassing in of the new steel stiffeners into the body and the work to fit modern seatbelts.

Steelwork in channel above side window and over the rear window,

A pillar close up, the steelwork ends in the front wing in the same place as reliant had theirs

B pillar view

Steel support ending in boot,

Steelwork overview,

We then folded up some steel bar to make mounting points for the seatbelts this photo shows a passenger test bracket fitted,

Seatbelt stalks test fitted,

Seatbelt overview,

Dave made up a new battery tray as the old one had mostly dissolved Its slightly larger to accommodate a scimitar sized battery,

Bodywork Repairs, Steel Tube Reinforcement

135

The following pictures show more of the bodywork repairs, glassing in of the new rollbar, investigation of the steel tube section around the A pillars…

Boot strap supports being glassed in:

Rollbar padded out to remove the dent in the roof and prepped for fibreglass.

Rollbar getting first fibreglass layer

Nice new UNF bolts to hold the chassis down, none of that metric rubbish here.

Front support refitted:

Steeing box refitted, still waiting for new track rods from Amsteer to complete the steering assembly.

Outrigger Bolts, S bolt is where the seatbelt reel will be fitted once the carpet is in.

Continuing the replacement of the chassis steelwork we cut out the corroded metal in A pillars. To do this we removed the inner roof moulding.

Extra view, this moulding will be replaced once we have glassed in new steel supports.

Channel that contained steelwork

Corroded section of steel support after removal

Drivers side Steelwork position shown on the outside of the car.

Passenger side being removed

Outside comparison, note hole blown in the wing by the steel expanding.

The rotten steel will be replaced soon and hopefully we can start looking at the engine and interior!

Steel Reinforcing the GRP

76

We found the lack of roof stiffening rather worrying so decided to fabricate a bonded in roll-bar hidden inside the B-posts – this is made using the same method and materials as Reliant used in the Scimitar.

Bending 1″ Tube for Rollbar

Roof section of rollbar being test fitted

These were then clamped and tacked together with the mig.

Drivers side lower rollbar section after bending

Preparing to pot-weld the joining pegs into the roof section, The pegs are made from 8″ lengths of thick-wall pipe.

The fully assembled rollbar section prior to space welding the tubes together

Passenger side view – the offset is to give clearance around the recessed section of the B post where the doorlock mounts.

Front on view.

Test fitting prior to adding seatbelt mount Points.

Chassis cleanup, Bodywork Evaluation

25

Chassis Stripped down ready for wire brushing:

Halfway through my friend Marlon (baldrickthecunning) dropped round and gave us a hand removing dials and labeling the loom. Cheers! :cool:

Body has been DA’d back some more though there is still quite a bit more to do.

With much of the interior removed it became obvious that there wasn’t much reinforcement inside the rebel. We are more used to the Scimitar which has a significant amount extra steel support so this came as a bit of a surprise!

Essentially on the Rebel the A posts and along the top of the windscreen are the only reinforced sections, Offering roll protection in the same way as a convertible. On a Scimitar the bodywork has Steel A post stiffeners, Sill stiffeners, roof supports and a tubular steel rollbar going down through the B  and anchoring to the chassis.

C Pillar:

B Pillar:

We are currently considering how best to add in some safety features that are present in later Reliants.

Finally a last picture of the chassis cleaning in progress: