Steel

now browsing by tag

 
 

More Bodywork Steel: Seatbelts, A-pillar

166

These photos show the glassing in of the new steel stiffeners into the body and the work to fit modern seatbelts.

Steelwork in channel above side window and over the rear window,

A pillar close up, the steelwork ends in the front wing in the same place as reliant had theirs

B pillar view

Steel support ending in boot,

Steelwork overview,

We then folded up some steel bar to make mounting points for the seatbelts this photo shows a passenger test bracket fitted,

Seatbelt stalks test fitted,

Seatbelt overview,

Dave made up a new battery tray as the old one had mostly dissolved Its slightly larger to accommodate a scimitar sized battery,

Bodywork Repairs, Steel Tube Reinforcement

135

The following pictures show more of the bodywork repairs, glassing in of the new rollbar, investigation of the steel tube section around the A pillars…

Boot strap supports being glassed in:

Rollbar padded out to remove the dent in the roof and prepped for fibreglass.

Rollbar getting first fibreglass layer

Nice new UNF bolts to hold the chassis down, none of that metric rubbish here.

Front support refitted:

Steeing box refitted, still waiting for new track rods from Amsteer to complete the steering assembly.

Outrigger Bolts, S bolt is where the seatbelt reel will be fitted once the carpet is in.

Continuing the replacement of the chassis steelwork we cut out the corroded metal in A pillars. To do this we removed the inner roof moulding.

Extra view, this moulding will be replaced once we have glassed in new steel supports.

Channel that contained steelwork

Corroded section of steel support after removal

Drivers side Steelwork position shown on the outside of the car.

Passenger side being removed

Outside comparison, note hole blown in the wing by the steel expanding.

The rotten steel will be replaced soon and hopefully we can start looking at the engine and interior!

Chassis Repairs – Part 2

89

The following post documents the rest of the chassis repairs. we then painted the chassis and suspension components which had been cleaned up ready for painting.

Rot cut out:

Replacement steel tacked and hammered in stages to replicate the correct curve:

Trial fitting the prefolded repair section, this was folded to measure by a local fabricator.

Welded in place:

Front section welded in:

From above

Various small holes welded up,

Bottom section fitted,

Painting,

Nylon Timing Gear – Ford Essex Engine

237

Since doing the gearbox on the Scimitar things were generally running well… until one day on the M25 when the throttle stuck wide open, Engine revved up to max and sounding like it was thrashing the life out of itself. I limped off the motorway by turning the ignition on and off and coasting. Free’d off the throttle at a layby and continued the 30 miles to home.

I Replaced the faulty throttle cable the following day but the car refused to start briefly spurting to life and then dying, Simple checks revealed the rotor arm was not turning but the starter was…! The timing gear had shredded its teeth leaving them all in an pile in the sump.

So I now I really have to eat a small slice of humble pie and admit I should have replaced the timing gear earlier and indeed was advised to change it by VIv at least once…! Its a well known weakness with the Ford Essex Engine and its one you Ignore at your own risk

The following photos show where the car is at present old timing gear cleaned out, new one on.

Chafed Throttle Cable

Missing teeth

Horrible mess

Excess amounts of blue silicone sealant courtesy of a previous owner!

Sump removed

Old one removed

Refitting the backplate

New steel gear

About to fit the timing cover

Going back together

bottom end view

a running engine, but not running right…

I was very lucky to get away with no serious damage, to the valves The head studs had pulled pulled out a bit but swapping for a new set of Unleaded heads has fixed this.