now browsing by tag
With the Rebel up and running we have been working towards fitting the Interior and getting the outside ready for paint.
Before fitting a new headlining etc, we needed to make a fibreglass moulding to cover the new rollover bar. We decided it would be best to bring it over to the Isle of wight (its future Home,) as the workshop facilities were better than they were in my garage! This meant I had to drive the relatively unproven Rebel from Littlehampton to Portsmouth to catch a ferry!
The journey to Portsmouth went well and I pulled over just off the A27 to check everything was ok, grabbing a few photos at the same time.
The boot was full and back of the car were quite heavily laden down
Waiting for the ferry.
Arrival in Newport IOW.
More on mould making to follow…
These photos show the glassing in of the new steel stiffeners into the body and the work to fit modern seatbelts.
Steelwork in channel above side window and over the rear window,
A pillar close up, the steelwork ends in the front wing in the same place as reliant had theirs
B pillar view
Steel support ending in boot,
We then folded up some steel bar to make mounting points for the seatbelts this photo shows a passenger test bracket fitted,
Seatbelt stalks test fitted,
Dave made up a new battery tray as the old one had mostly dissolved Its slightly larger to accommodate a scimitar sized battery,
The following pictures show more of the bodywork repairs, glassing in of the new rollbar, investigation of the steel tube section around the A pillars…
Boot strap supports being glassed in:
Rollbar padded out to remove the dent in the roof and prepped for fibreglass.
Rollbar getting first fibreglass layer
Nice new UNF bolts to hold the chassis down, none of that metric rubbish here.
Front support refitted:
Steeing box refitted, still waiting for new track rods from Amsteer to complete the steering assembly.
Outrigger Bolts, S bolt is where the seatbelt reel will be fitted once the carpet is in.
Continuing the replacement of the chassis steelwork we cut out the corroded metal in A pillars. To do this we removed the inner roof moulding.
Extra view, this moulding will be replaced once we have glassed in new steel supports.
Channel that contained steelwork
Corroded section of steel support after removal
Drivers side Steelwork position shown on the outside of the car.
Passenger side being removed
Outside comparison, note hole blown in the wing by the steel expanding.
The rotten steel will be replaced soon and hopefully we can start looking at the engine and interior!
Re-uniting the Bodyshell and Chassis:
Rollbar in situ
rear outrigger and the mounting plate on the bottom of the rollbar
rear of engine bay
forward view of engine bay
One Month Before! :
These photos show the process of building up the chassis with the suspension and braking components.
Bare chassis (upside down :p)
Finished lower roll bar section – note mount point for seatbelt.
Rollbar sections test assembled
Detail view of “B” post section of rollbar
Leaf springs going back on
New master cylinder
new wheel cylinders, ball joints and trunnion bushes
General overview of front suspension going back together
new brake pipes and wiring loom going back on
new rear cylinders
front hubs refitted
starting to look like part of a car again!