now browsing by tag
These photos show the glassing in of the new steel stiffeners into the body and the work to fit modern seatbelts.
Steelwork in channel above side window and over the rear window,
A pillar close up, the steelwork ends in the front wing in the same place as reliant had theirs
B pillar view
Steel support ending in boot,
We then folded up some steel bar to make mounting points for the seatbelts this photo shows a passenger test bracket fitted,
Seatbelt stalks test fitted,
Dave made up a new battery tray as the old one had mostly dissolved Its slightly larger to accommodate a scimitar sized battery,
The following pictures show more of the bodywork repairs, glassing in of the new rollbar, investigation of the steel tube section around the A pillars…
Boot strap supports being glassed in:
Rollbar padded out to remove the dent in the roof and prepped for fibreglass.
Rollbar getting first fibreglass layer
Nice new UNF bolts to hold the chassis down, none of that metric rubbish here.
Front support refitted:
Steeing box refitted, still waiting for new track rods from Amsteer to complete the steering assembly.
Outrigger Bolts, S bolt is where the seatbelt reel will be fitted once the carpet is in.
Continuing the replacement of the chassis steelwork we cut out the corroded metal in A pillars. To do this we removed the inner roof moulding.
Extra view, this moulding will be replaced once we have glassed in new steel supports.
Channel that contained steelwork
Corroded section of steel support after removal
Drivers side Steelwork position shown on the outside of the car.
Passenger side being removed
Outside comparison, note hole blown in the wing by the steel expanding.
The rotten steel will be replaced soon and hopefully we can start looking at the engine and interior!
Small update showing repairs to the bodyshell:
Whilst picking at a small crack a large section of the front skirt/bumper moulding dropped off!. poorly repaired accident damage which was held together with body filler!
Photo showing floor repairs
replacement stiffening plates under the seats ready to be glassed in.
front end jigsaw being reassembled
small repairs were needed to both wheel arches where previous accident damage had caused delamination
passenger side footwell – had a hole, the old front chassis outrigger on this side was also badly bent so someone must have driven over something unwise
view behind front bumper showing various repairs
The following photos show the start of the chassis repair work.
New section let into rear chassis section – while this section was cut out a crack alongside the spring mounting bush was also welded up. Apparently a common problem on the Rebel.
Patched up the rear crossbrace.
new rear outrigger tacked in place
rear outrigger – note wider top section which will take the lower mounting for the rollbar and also the seatbelt reels.
front outrigger also tacked in situ.
Chopping out the area of the passenger side front chassis that had badly corroded from the battery leaking.
The pitting runs along the bottom of the chassis rail as far as the gearbox crossbrace.
We found the lack of roof stiffening rather worrying so decided to fabricate a bonded in roll-bar hidden inside the B-posts – this is made using the same method and materials as Reliant used in the Scimitar.
Bending 1″ Tube for Rollbar
Roof section of rollbar being test fitted
These were then clamped and tacked together with the mig.
Drivers side lower rollbar section after bending
Preparing to pot-weld the joining pegs into the roof section, The pegs are made from 8″ lengths of thick-wall pipe.
The fully assembled rollbar section prior to space welding the tubes together
Passenger side view – the offset is to give clearance around the recessed section of the B post where the doorlock mounts.
Front on view.
Test fitting prior to adding seatbelt mount Points.