doors

now browsing by tag

 
 

Scimitar & Rebel Photos! Plus Doors, Overcarpets and Trimming

I Spent some time over the weekend assisting Dave in fitting the doors to the rebel. It also meant I got to see some of the stuff that had been going on since the last time I saw the car, like the overcarpets and shiny chrome exhaust trim!

Door fitting can be an awkward process if you want to make a decent job of it and get the top, bottom and swage line all to look good!

Overcarpets:

New stainless air vents.

Boot carpet

Chrome exhaust trim.

Hinges have had new pins made in 8mm stainless bar as the old ones were found to be rusted through.

Door frames painted

Trial fitting a fixed quaterlight

Door frames go in,

Door frames had new drop glass felt fitted, the quaterlights were sealed with black polyurethane sealant which has been very effective on the Scimitar.

New Quaterlight base rubber,

With the frames in the winder mechanisms and door locks were reconnected,

We then fitted some new british made tex door mirrors  :D . We have replaced the old style door mirrors because they were sh*t.

We were very pleased with the way the top frames fit, it took some time to get them right but is now probably a bit better than the standard achieved by reliant.

A few photos of My GTE and Dave’s rebel, I’m hoping to get the Scimitar respayed by the same sprayer who did the rebel later this year.

These last couple of photos are a sneak peek at the new seats for the rebel which are currently being made  8) .

The plan is to carry on and finish the cosmetic stuff on the rebel and then concentrate on getting the race engine sorted towards the end of the year

It Lives: Moving under its own power

174

This post documents the work getting the rebel to move under its own power after 30 years off the road….

New exhaust system being fitted:

The old exhaust was mostly swept off the garage floor the a section of pipe just below them manifold has been replaced with flexi pipe bought form a local exhausts place. Its the first time we’d used it and It will be interesting to see how well it lasts.

We picked up an new silencer which is attached to the original tailpipe section.

It would have been nice to have fitted a replacement but the pipe bend over the axle is going to take some fabrication and there is techincally not much wrong with the old pipe!

This photo shows the new seatbelt support straps, now painted and fitted, Astute observers will also notice we now have a handbrake cable fitted.

We have also refitted the windows and 2 regal doors which i picked up for £10 the channel section on the old doors requires extensive repair and will be revisited later. The new doors were spectacularly brown, I ran out of Coarse Da sander pads which accounts for the slightly odd look! Regal doors are essentially the same the main difference is in the internal moulding which is different as the rebel has a nicer door card.

Given the doors are 8 years newer than the car they required quite a bit of shimming to get them to sit right, presumably slight differences in the mouldings at Reliant.

Door closeup, The handle and latches have also been refitted and the door can only be locked on the latch from the inside, oddly the drivers door appears to have always been unable to be locked from inside the car, presumably to stop you locking your keys in!

Drivers side door,

An inside view,

Not really sure why I took this picture tbh,

Before fitting the windows the internal moulding needed bonding back in, A scimitar Rear view mirror has been fitted until we can get a more appropriate one (the old one was in poor condition and did not survive removal.)

This final photo shows damage to the boot where the latch should mount we need to bind in new captive nuts to the holes:

The new bonnet will to be modified as its slightly different to the one that came with the car:

The new bonnet is designed to have external hinges mounted where as ours has internal hinges:

New bonnet:

The shortlist for an Mot is now:

Sort out a cooling System,
Fit the fuel tank,
Fiberglass work to the bonnet and boot to allow them to be fitted,
We need to buy a battery and do some other small finishing off jobs.

Ps For anyone who’s interested there are a couple of videos of the car on youtube showing a pre exhaust car running and moving under its own power.

<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/I2N-U7gCI0U” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

And:

<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/suquMWUsLsA” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

 

Interior Doors, Speakers, Waterproofing

Few more pictures these show the doors with their frames and glass as well as installing the speakers, waterproofing etc.

Doors with frames,

Inside of the doors, We had some trouble waterproofing with the front speakers without causing interference. Though this was cured by creating rainwater covers from plastic bowls instead of using plastic sheet which caused a nasty rattle.

Door with speaker and door arm rest bracket, Thanks to Coco Le Blanc who was able to provide one for the drivers side!

a number of other jobs have also been done to make the car useable, Including changing the gearbox oil seal, Propshaft UJ’s, installing a new starter motor and ignition swich….