now browsing by tag
More on post accident Firberglass repair work
joins being made steel tabs were then removed and the remaining sections feathered back and glassed:
While waiting for the fibreglass to set there was time to look at some of the other outstanding odd jobs. Dave came up with some spaced off brackets to hang the mid section of the exhausts, Previously the attachement point had been quite low but these seem to be a neat solution.
Another outsanding odd job was the headlights, the outers were suffering from rust on the liners and manky chrome frames so I sourced some Wipac replacement units, the reflectors on main beam lights were in good condition but I decided to replace the holders as well so the all looked nice and shiny.
After prepping the new repair for paint and a few layers of primer a base coat of red has been applied and flatted back, Theres quite alot of paintwork still to do but the current basecoat should be ok for the vic check,
The exhaust light cluster and bumpers were then refitted to get an idea of how well they fitted and to see how they looked on the car.
As a final job the exhausts were trimmed to the same angle as supplied by Relaint.
The Vic Check and RE-MOT were the final part of the accident repair process and and by the end of March 2011 the Scimitar was fit for the road again with all checks passed and repairs signed off.
After a frustrating month waiting for the insurance to be sorted out I have finally been able to get things settled and start the repairs. Quotes to repair the damage were high, and as a result the car was witten off and I’ve had to buy it back.
A donation rear section was offered by Martin (mn757) and collected from Coventry and the repair work was able to start.
Repair section from martin:
The car with the damaged fibreglass removed:
Donor section cut roughly to size being trial fitted,
The next major issue was to pull out the bend from the bumper support bracket, with the damaged bodywork removed it was possible to pull the bracket back to shape using a steel tube. The repair section also needed some work doing to it before fitting repair around the bumper bolts the lower skirt etc, It was much easier to do this before fitting. The repair section and the join on the inside of the car was then prepped by feathering the edges and tabed into place with steel brackets so that fibreglass could be appied from the inside.
The next stage will be to remove the fixings sand down the join and lay up new fibreglass on the outside.
About a month had passed since I got the GTE Back on the road when someone drove into the back of my car while waiting at a roundabout. I was stationary and the car behind came into the back at about 20 mph.
The impact did quite a bit of damage to the bodywork, exhaust, bumper and light cluster, and bent the bumper support bracket on the chassis. I was devastated that the car was back off the road after only having a month of use. The following pictures show the damage on the day of the crash.
The car was insured Fully comprehensive on a Classic Policy but the claims process was quite drawn out and it was several months before I got a payout and could start to think about the repair work.