now browsing by tag
I’ve recently got back form the Isle of wight where I’ve been assisting Dave fitting out the Rebels interior… I thought this was going to be a fairly nice job but the dire weather left the tent where we were working half full water. It made it interesting trying to keep things clean and dry!
Outside the bumpers and badges have been fitted and the boot trial fitted (still needs work on the hinges to get it quite right and the rubber gaskets need trimming to get a better fit. The windows have also gone back and are now just waiting for some new chrome infill to finish them off.
Inside the Insulation, carpet and vynide have been fitted as has the vinyl covering for the roll bar and a new headlining has been made.
Some better post spray job photos now with bumpers and badges on:
The boot, The seal will need changing for a different type as this one is a bad fit when its closed
The locking filler neck, still needs a pipe sorting to connect it to the tank though!
New British made Chrome hinges and New old stock badge. The taillights desperately need replacing the chrome is poor and a couple of the lenses have small cracks. Ideally we are looking for some that are new old stock or very good used.
The following pictures show the Jute underlay being cut and fitted, we’ve used more of this than Reliant did so hope for a reduction in road and engine noise. The underlay was fixed into place with High temperature contact adhesive
Rear seat armrests were sanded town to give a surface as smooth as possible to fit the vynide to, its very thin so imperfections show up really easily.
Footwell carpets in, gearbox tunnel carpet being trial fitted,
First vynide bits in.
Gearbox tunnel carpet fitted,
The headlining and rollbar cover, This is our first attempt at making a headlining from scratch its not bad but has some small rucks at the ends which could be improved on in future. The general affect with the rollbar seems so work it ties in well enough to look like its standard fit.
B Pillar vynide / vinyll join
For the c-pillar and a-pillar trims we recovered the original aluminium
The Rebel shortly before leaving to catch a 2:30 am ferry…
The next stage will be another hit to get the doors built up and fitted ( they are currently waiting for the hinges and frames to be grit blasted and then sprayed.) Then the over carpets need edging and the seats need new covers made. There are lots of other odd jobs to tackle like the dashboard, door cards, etc
A Few more carpeting photos. Sorry about the fluff I’d not hoovered the carpets before taking the photos.
There were a few quirks with the cut carpet set which could probably be improved on, In places Cloverdale had trimmed things needlessly and there are other points where it could have done with some! This is one of the drawbacks with the precut carpet set. Also some parts arent included for example the glove box lining.
Fitting the seatbelts turned into a long horrible job I was short on mount bars so had to make some up and getting them folded and fitting turned out to be very time consuming. Funny how the simple jobs take the longest.
Front passenger footwell. The carpet on the bulkhead was trimmed which had to be removed before fitting.
With the overcarpet in place.
Blower motor apature,
Gearbox tunnel, With new Securon seatbelts
I’ve picked out a couple of quirks in the carpet set here the red section could have done with trimming, like the other face and the trim in the blue part is pointless on my car as that section is covered by the plastic side trims.
This post covers a few interior jobs, laying down the insulation, carpets, seatbelts etc
Initially I had considered cutting the carpets out myself but in the end decided that it was better to get a cut set (cloverdale) as the difference in price wasnt that great and it seemed helpful to get the overcarpets edged. Even with the cut set fitting turned out to be quite time consuming. Working out which sections were insulated was interesting as although most insulation sections bond straight to the body some have the carpets bonded on first and the edges folded over to make a single peice which is then bonded in.Between carpet and insulation we used 10ltrs of contact adhesive!
Heres a few photos showing the insulation and preparing some of the carpets, I’ve tried to include quite a few as I’m not sure there are many pictures of carpet installation out there on the web.
Bulkhead section carpet was folded around this.
Folding carpet for rear seat recess.
The following post will cover the final result with the top carpet fitted.