now browsing by tag
Hard to believe that this thread has not had an update since March…!
Its easy to let updates slip once a car is on the road but hopefully this post will fill in some of the gaps I’ve failed to talk about during the past few months. Since returning to the road and getting its panels the van has been in regular use clocking up the miles….
As seen here In Birmingham:
Rebel Van with dated architecture (petersfield)
Rebel Van in Grimsby:
and as documented in another thread recently… Stoke on Trent:
This year its done 4400+ miles, In the time since the engine swap its needed a fuel pump and a different dynamo to replace parts that were long past their prime. But other than that its been a faithful workhorse that has repeatedly exceeded my expectations. To the point where I now happily overlook some of its very real faults. eg the inability to see out of the wing mirrors, the huge amount of transmitted road noise when doing 50+mph and the tendency to get blown about by high winds or high sided vehicles when traveling at speed .
With the one year ownership mark fast approaching my thoughts recently turned to securing the next MOT and addressing some of the problems that had been deferred when the van when back on the road. These really needed to be sorted to guarantee the little rebel van a chance to stay on the road in the longer term.
With this in mind I took the van over to the isle of wight where the plan was to make and fit a set of replacement chassis outriggers. Heres a look at the old ones:
Passenger side rear, The rusty hole is actually the seat belt mounting point hidden beneath a large washer .
Passenger side rear outrigger profile view, This shows the basic construction, steel pressings spot welded together which has left a rust trap between the surfaces. This had then been very badly overplated in a previous repair.
The front Passenger side outrigger, which had again been overplated
The front drivers side outrigger, the whole in the middle is caused but water accumulating between the 2 spot welded sections over many years,
Despite the appearances the Reliant outriggers were surprisingly solid still and did take some effort to remove, the previous repair work leaves alot to be desired and while it was hiding the problems of the original design it wasn’t actually providing any real strength.
A new set of outriggers were put together, These were fabricated out of 3mm steel plate which is slightly thicker than standard. They are made to the same pattern we used on the rebel saloon we did last year. This design includes a wider top which can be used to fasten a B-pillar roll bar to the chassis if one is fitted at a later date.
Photo Shows a set of outriggers before final trimming, rears at the top fronts ant the bottom.
For the Mot the Van needed 3 Dust Boots for the track rods, a nearside Tyre and the front brake balance sorting (turned out to be a sticking piston in a cylinder)
The following pictures show the van up on the MOT lift and the new outriggers fitted…. Sorry about the lousy Iphone pictures I’d left my good camera behind.
Finally a couple of post Mot shots Which show the van as it currently is with its correct tail lights fitted and chrome bumpers fitted.
Plans in the new year include sorting the interior out with some carpet / insulation fitting some door mirrors to replace the wing mirrors and working on a high ratio axle swap. The mid term plan will still be to get the body off and get it nicely painted etc but in the meantime I’m now happy that its now all solid and the fine details like nice paintwork can wait until the weather is better.
These photos show the recent work fabricating up new parts and the arrival of a couple of engines, Thanks to Phil (Reliant-Reviver) for putting us in touch with Ian who has helped us out with a selection of engines from which we should be able to build up a good runner.
Heating bar for new pedal with Oxy/Acetylene
New and old Front Outrigger’s
Rear Outrigger’s With widened top to take Rollbar mounting
Some new arrivals!
Few more pictures these show the doors with their frames and glass as well as installing the speakers, waterproofing etc.
Doors with frames,
Inside of the doors, We had some trouble waterproofing with the front speakers without causing interference. Though this was cured by creating rainwater covers from plastic bowls instead of using plastic sheet which caused a nasty rattle.
Door with speaker and door arm rest bracket, Thanks to Coco Le Blanc who was able to provide one for the drivers side!
a number of other jobs have also been done to make the car useable, Including changing the gearbox oil seal, Propshaft UJ’s, installing a new starter motor and ignition swich….
I finally decided to repair my original axle, which was suffering from a severe case of bracket rot. I have got another axle donated by dead scimitar which I intend rebuild in the future, but i decided fixing the existing one would be a quicker way to get the car fit for the road.
Trailing arm axle brackets seem to be a bit of a rust trap on Scimitars and quite a few seem to require replacement. Both QRG and Graham walker sell them but they are not cheap as there is a reasonable amount of fabrication involved in their construction.
Thanks go to Dave who pretty much did all the work shown in this post.
Old Crusty Bracket:
Size difference between the qrg replacment and the old one.
Removing the old one:
Qrg Brackets cut to fit:
Axle after a coat of zinc rich paint,
I’ve gone for a different drain hole in the hope it will drain better this time and help prevent future corrosion.
The axle is back on the car with new shocks,
Finally a random photo showing the Fuse box back in place and loom all reconnected.