Bodywork

now browsing by tag

 
 

Rebel in paint!

Sorry only one phone photo for the moment… but its now red again!

Rebel in Primer

Dave’s been prepping the Rebel for paint, working around his other commitments its taken 2 weeks of repetitive work: Priming with a roller, flatting back. priming again, filling, sanding off, swearing, spray priming, flatting back with wet and dry…. but as of today the rebel has now had the final flat off with 800 wet and dry and is now awaiting top coat!

Sorry I’ve only got one crap phone pic but I thought I’d share It anyway.

Bodywork Preparation

It would be easy to think that the Rebel Saloon was loosing out with the current efforts being put into the van but we’ve still found time to do some work on it.

These are a few photos last year when we were sanding, filling and faring the bodywork and repairing stress cracks before paint.

More recently we trial fitted the original doors. One had a major chunk removed where the scrapyard had broken into it. The other was cracked around the mounting holes for the hinges and on both the joins between inner and outer moldings was weak. Repairing the original doors was preferable to keeping the regal ones as they have different door card styles and would always have looked a bit wrong, the regal ones were also not that good a fit and required lots of shimming to get them to sit right.

The door frames have also been repaired. Dave spent long hours welding up good ones from sections cut out of several rusty spare sets. The ones that came with the Rebel were very rotten and were preventing free movement of the window glass.

We have removed the opening quaterlight windows, this a compromise as the seals are no longer available and leaving them would have meant that the car would leak ruining the new carpets (still to be fitted.) As its a car that will be used regularly practicality is over-ruling originality here!

Repaired frames

Coparison between old and new style quaterlights:

The new quarter lights will now use larger panes bedded in on silicone, We’ve used this in the past on the Scimitar rear hatch and it works very well.

The frame section at the bottom unbolts to allow the Quaterlight pane to be fitted from below, before the frame is dropped onto the door moulding

Trial fitting:

We are hoping that the top frames should be a decent fit and when painted up should be at least as good as the standard that reliant managed, if not hopefully a bit better.

The plan now is to move the Red Rebel back to the Isle of Wight for painting when the weather has improved…  :|

Fabricating a Fibreglass Rollbar Cover

With the car on the Island we made moulds for the B-Pillar trims,

First attempt at moulding our own trim panels,

We also made moulds for new heater blowers,

Random shot of Dave driving the Rebel,

Trial fitting,

Happy with the side sections we moved on to making the difficult curved piece.

The female mould was made out of Ply and timber.

Imperfections was faired in filler, so that the fibreglass would not stick to the mould special release wax and PVA was used.

Applying Gel Coat,

Finished moulding awaiting trimming,

Trimmed down and trial fitted,

Random cat photo…

Replacing the Side panels – Now Fitted

The van now has side panels!  :)

We spent the last 2 days putting the panels in and giving a rough coat of paint generally very pleased with the result, the fine fettling on the paintwork will be done in the future when the whole van will be repainted.

In other news the van is now tax exempt which took a while to sort the paperwork out with the dvla.