Reliability – Fitting the Reconditioned Engine

There has been a quite a bit of progress getting the Rebel van to a reliable state this week as it was needed to move a cargo of Teak and Foden engine Cylinder heads to the Isle of Wight!

The first step was to remove the engine again:

While it was out it was fitted with a new clutch pressure plate and the correct engine mounting feet for a Rebel. It was also given a small service, including points, condenser, plugs etc.

An 850 Carb, inlet manifold and were bought.

At the same time the front brake adjusters were replaced from a handy kit bought off eBay, Its Girling approved  8) the photo shows one of the old ones looking a bit fooked (they were seized)

Old ones were ground off with a grinder, The packet recommended use of a hammer and chisel and a saw as options to remove old adjusters, fortunately we didn’t need them! Photo shows Comparison Old and new adjusters:

The following day the van rewarded our efforts by blowing a head gasket on the A23 :roll: . It was towed home by the AA who in an unusual show of efficiency sent a tow truck straight away!¬† We spent the next day changing the engine for the rebuilt 850 we had on the bench and had been intended for the red rebel. Sorry I’ve no photos to showing this engine swap… it was a long day!

by that evening we’d tested the new engine and had the van ready to go to the IOW… you can fit a suprisingly large amount of stuff in a small van!

a few photos at the ferry terminal:

Teak is quite heavy…!

Teak on the left, Foden cylinder heads in the boxes on the right!

I’ll write up the creation of some side panels in a bit…!